3D Design, Modeling, Printing, Sculpting, and more
3D design is the process of creating a 3-dimensional shape or object, usually using powerful software or web applications like Tinkercad, Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, and others. 3D computer graphics have been around for decades, but over the last 10 years, the growth in Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and 3D video games, not to mention the commercial and consumer industries, has been thrillingly drastic. Whether it’s an electrician mapping out their electrical design, an automotive engineer designing a new engine component, or a realtor adding 3D imagery to enhance an empty home, 3D assets and designs are a constant in our modern lives.
There are many techniques that live within 3D design, whether it’s modeling, sculpting, printing, animation, or more. Applications and assets for 3D environments are growing, and its implementations are almost limitless. At Empow Labs, our 3D classes range from introductory, fundamental programs, to hands-on, how-to lessons. Whether you are new to 3D or an experienced professional, we’re confident in providing you the instructional content you need to broaden your knowledge.
Upcoming 3D Design Programs
Classes, Workshops, Demos, and more
3D Design: Class Offerings
Design 3D objects with Modeling & Sculpting techniques In this 2 class series in 3D Modeling & Sculpting, your imagination...
3D animation with Adobe CC & Maya 3D animation like the kind utilized in Up, Frozen, and Toy Story 4...
Intro to Blender: Class Overview This class will be a detailed overview of the 3D creation software, Blender. Details: Day...
Help us help you! Empow Labs is currently designing new programs, and with your insight we can tailor class curriculum...
3D Design: Program Details
What you’ll learn with 3D Design
- Software UI: Workspace presets, 3D view navigation, menus, collections, properties
- Creating primitives, transformations, applying transformations
- Editing primitives, including the following tools: Extrude, Inset, Bevel, Knife, Loop Cut and Slide
- Booleans using Bool Tool
- Deleting and merging
- Modifier – Array (using an Empty as an Object Offset)
- Render modes in 3D view: wireframe, solid, Eevee, Cycles
- Model together: a fire hydrant, using primitives, mesh editing, booleans
- The 3D Cursor, Object Origins, Pivot Point
- Snapping: Increment (Grid), Vertex
- Modifiers – Mirror, Subdivision, Solidify
- Sculpting basics
- Using the Skin Modifier to create an armature
- Sculpting Tools – Clay, Clay Strips, Crease, Inflate, Snake Hook
- Retopology using Retopoflow
- 3D printer setup
- 3D printer maintenance & troubleshooting
3D equipment / software at the Lab
- Prusa i3 MK3S
3D skills covered
- 3D Design
- 3D Modeling
- 3D Sculpting
- 3D Animation
- 3D Printing
Join the Community
Empow Labs is a collaborative space opening in Spring 2019 for all interested in XR and emerging technology. If you’re interested in learning more with an empowered and inviting community, fill out the form and get updates about our grand opening.